Find time to believe in yourself

Jake Lofamia, Art Editor

As most people know, basketball means everything to me. My love for the game runs deep. No matter what state-of-mind I’m in, you can find me on a court with a ball in my hand. I pour my heart and soul out for this game. I separate myself from others by working harder and making sacrifices to be the best I can be. Despite this, I’ve failed so much, from getting cut from high school or AAU teams, sitting on the bench, or having an injury. I’ve been through so many moments through this game that broke me down, I mean my journey in basketball has been filled with so much failure, struggle and adversity. There’s been so many tears and sleepless nights, but with that came early mornings training every single day before class at 5 a.m., constant lifting, conditioning, and endless nights back in the gym.

I didn’t give up, I never let those moments of failure define me. If anything, they’ve pushed me to develop a stronger work ethic and brought out a better version of myself.

People think I’m crazy to keep pushing for my goals, and, after hearing about my shortcomings, they count me out.

But that’s okay, because I guess I am a little crazy in a sense.

Crazy because I’ve always believed in myself. Even through the most trying times, those who truly knew me believed in me, too, whether it was about basketball, a relationship or any tough moment in life. My family, coaches and friends support me and give me hope because they know who I am. When I fall, they pick me up, and with my faith, bring the best out of me.

I hate losing. I hate dealing with failure. Nobody likes it. But I embrace adversity because it challenges me, not only in basketball but in life. One thing I take pride in is that I will not be outworked, I have everything to prove.

I do this for the love of the game.

So who would’ve thought that I’d be blessed with the opportunity to play basketball in college, while also pursuing my academics and passion for graphic design?

I’ve proven those who doubted me wrong and made those who believed in me proud. I am who I am because of everything I’ve endured.

I’m grateful for all I’ve experienced, not just in basketball, but with every moment in my life. It’s okay to feel pain and sorrow in trying times, but I won’t let it control my blessings. There are far greater issues in this world. Yes, our senior year got cut short; it’s frustrating. But every one of us will do something amazing someday. We are meant for something greater. Every day, I feel a sense of purpose and love for what I have and what I can do. I’m proud of everything that’s happened in my life, especially in the past four years, because without it, I would’ve never become the person and player I am. There are moments that will break you down, like the one we are facing now, but we are going to become better people than we were before.

So my message is to be yourself. Some may think you’re crazy for fighting for your passions. But these fights are what make life amazing. Give it your all, be kind, be respectful, be positive and don’t give up. Believe in it and believe in you, because eventually, you’ll get through the tough times and hopefully inspire people along the way.