Tigard-Tualatin School District passes policy on hate speech

Cyrah Carlson, Staff Writer

The Tigard-Tualatin board recently passed the Bias Incidents and Hate Speech policy supporting the diversity of our community members on Aug. 24.

The discriminatory acts were brought to the attention of the TTSD Board members earlier last summer. The policy established in August encompasses what to do if one witnesses bias incidents, how to report an incident and bystander intervention.

“What makes this policy unique is the creation of the E.A.S.H. framework. Designed by our students, this framework seeks to: educate individuals in personal bias and how that applies to each of our actions, hold our schools accountable for implementing the policy with fidelity, act on solutions that change behavior and support positive academic outcomes, offer healing to victims impacted by bias incidents,” School Board Chair Maureen Wolf said. 

Staff, students and TTSD community members may feel targeted for what makes up their identity. Prejudiced language and behavior can tear down their confidence and general well being. 

The district plans to train students and staff to report deprecatory behavior to the school. Reports may be made by an identified person or anonymously based on the students’ preference. The policy states that they will incorporate education on diversity, equity, inclusion, allyship and anti-racism to the community. 

If students don’t know about SafeOregon and don’t feel comfortable using it, the next best thing is for them to go to a trusted teacher, counselor, administrator, or staff member,”  School Board Member Jill Zurschmeide said. “The administration has refined the process to make sure that complaints are heard and investigated, that there is opportunity for education and restorative justice as appropriate, and that solutions include healing for the student who has been hurt. Another important element that’s been added is that the student is informed of the outcome of the investigation, to the extent that is legally permissible.”

The board promises to accommodate victims by providing restorative practices and support. The board recognizes school is a place where all students and staff should feel safe. Experiencing discrimination in a school environment may leave people incapable of healing.