Harris makes history as America’s next vice president

Kayla Wolf, Staff Writer

Kamala D. Harris will shatter the glass ceiling on Inauguration Day as the first woman, African-American and Asian to become vice president.

Harris was born to a Jamaican father and a South Indian mother, both of whom were immigrants. She and her sister Maya were among the first African-American children to attend Thousand Oaks Elementary in Berkeley, Calif. After graduating from Howard University, Harris became a lawyer and served as California’s attorney general from 2011 to 2017. She became a U.S. Senator in 2017 and was only the second African-American woman to do so.

Vice president-elect Kamala Harris smiles at the crowd gathered to celebrate Joseph R. Biden’s projected victory. Harris made history as the first woman, African-American and Asian to become Vice President on Jan. 20. Photo courtesy of Sarah Silbiger/Bloomberg/Getty Images.

Since entering the political spotlight, Harris has taken a clear position on major issues such as racial equality. According to The New York Times, Harris proposed a legislative bill in June, known as the Justice in Policing Act, that would provide training for police officers on racial profiling and ban certain actions such as chokeholds. The purpose of the bill was to ensure officers protect all people, regardless of race.

“In the wake of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor’s murders, we must ask ourselves: how many more times must our families and our communities be put through the trauma of an unarmed Black man or woman’s killing at the hands of the very police who are sworn to protect and serve them,” Harris said in a statement regarding the proposed bill.

Women of all races and ages celebrate Harris’s achievement, as her historic victory proves that anything is possible.

“I’m very excited, mostly because now African-American girls can see they can do things,” Tualatin High School’s Head of Security Flo Horne said. “They can see they can dream big.”

While Harris may be the first woman to become vice president, she is confident that she “will not be the last.”