3 local businesses you don’t know, or forgot about

Emily Phuong Tran, Feature Editor

We know how it goes: “Support local businesses.” 

But it’s not just a saying anymore; it’s a call for help. When the world shuts down, leaving people at home, more and more are referring to online shops that offer delivery—and our local businesses can’t compete. 

As they have helped our community – through fundraisers for students, sponsoring sports teams and becoming a social infrastructure by connecting neighbors to neighbors – it’s time for the community to step up. Here are three local businesses to check out: 

Poke Makana will amaze you with heavenly Hawaiian cuisine. Customize your meal, which can be a rice bowl, salad or burrito, then add proteins and toppings of your liking. Their original poke sauce makes their food a winner because, regardless of the combination, it will tie everything together. If your family struggles to decide on a restaurant to fit everyone’s needs, Poke is the way to go. The many options they provide will make everyone happy. The restaurant is tucked away across the street from Parkway Village at Sherwood. 

Address: 20661 SW Roy Rogers Rd Ste 502, Sherwood, OR 97140 

Piccolo Mondo Toys might be a surprising recommendation to teenagers, but hear me out. No one is too old to play with toys. Distance learning takes a toll on our eyes, so let’s substitute fun online with fun offline through board games, Legos, mini-versions of sports, etc. Especially when the world is so stressful, a return to simpler times with childhood toys may ease your mind. Board games like Clue or mini-versions of sports like pickleball can allow you the opportunity to connect with family over something fun. The shop is in Progress Ridge Mall. (By the way, for the irony of it, pick up Pandemic. It’s quite the fun.) 

Address: 12345 SW Horizon Blvd, Beaverton, OR 97007 

MoCha Tea House is so predictable that you might scoff at my suggestion! No doubt about it, MoCha is a cultural institution around here. How many people have escaped to MoCha to study? Everyone knows it’s especially busy around finals time. The music’s great and the tea’s great. What makes MoCha special is that, although in every sense it is regular, they’ve somehow created an atmosphere to make memories. It’s located across the street from Progress Ridge Mall.

Address: 14900 SW Barrows Rd #101, Beaverton, OR 97007 

People often say that COVID-19 made them more grateful for the smaller things in life. To have these businesses in our community is one of those smaller things. Remember your favorite memories? Where did they happen? These establishments are weaved into the fabric of our community; they have made us better by allowing us the space to connect. Let’s make sure they stay in our community.