New binge-worthy movies, shows arrive on Netflix

Kayla Wolf, Staff Writer

In Oregon, the weather outside is almost always frightful during the cold winter months, so why not cozy up with some new movies and shows on Netflix that are guaranteed to to be oh-so-delightful? Grab a mug of hot cocoa, a fleece blanket or two and the TV remote for what are sure to be hours of enjoyable binge-watching with this month’s new additions.

Movies:

Catch Me If You Can

Frank Abagnale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) has done it all: before his eighteenth birthday he became a doctor, a lawyer and a co-pilot for a big-name airline company. But that’s not all. When he was 17, Abagnale also became the United States’s most successful criminal who was infamous for his skills as a forger and bank robber. Meanwhile, F.B.I. agent Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) makes catching and prosecuting Frank his highest priority—as long as he can keep up with him. With a star-studded cast, this action-filled tale makes for an eventful yet comedic time.

Mystic Pizza

This lovable rom-com follows the lives of Daisy (Julia Roberts), her sister Kat (Annabeth Gish) and their best friend Jojo (Lili Taylor). After graduating from high school, the girls decide to work as waitresses in a pizza parlor for the summer in their small hometown of Mystic. Together they share heartbreak, laughs and memories as they navigate the ups and downs of their newfound adulthood.  Featuring a strong female cast, this is the perfect flick for a Zoom movie night with friends.

Sightless

If you’re in the mood for something intense, this heart-stopping thriller has got you covered. In it, a young woman named Ellen (Madelaine Petsch) is left blinded by a tragic accident and must navigate her way through a new world where no one is as they seem. Can she manage to escape the grasp of her alternate reality and return to her normal life before it’s too late? Fans of Riverdale will certainly want to watch this performance by Petsch, who plays Cheryl Blossom in the CW series.

TV Shows:

Cobra Kai (Season 3)

For those who enjoyed the Karate Kid series, the third season of the lovable classic’s spinoff series will not disappoint. The show follows a penniless Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) nearly thirty-four years after he lost the All Valley Karate Competition to his rival, Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio). Lawrence decides to purchase his former karate studio, Cobra Kai, and instruct other aspiring students. However, the previous owner, John Kreese, expresses interest in reclaiming the studio and restoring the merciless techniques Cobra Kai once practiced. Featuring a returning cast from The Karate Kid, including Ralph Macchino and William Zabka, this is one show you won’t want to miss.