Congress certifies Biden’s Electoral College victory, mob storms U.S. Capitol; Tualatin community responds

Kayla Wolf, Staff Writer

Congress met to certify President-elect Joseph R. Biden’s Electoral College victory on Jan. 6, but what began as a formality quickly took a downward spiral into what would become one of the darkest days in modern American history. 

Electoral College certification turns deadly in Capitol siege

At 1 p.m. EST, Vice President Michael Pence called the Congressional certification of Biden’s presidential victory to order. Senators and representatives were in the midst of a two hour-long debate following objections to Arizona’s electoral votes in both the House and Senate when an announcement was made over the loudspeakers telling members of Congress to stay away from doors and windows. Little did they know of the devastating events that would unfold in the coming hours.

Around 2 p.m. EST, protesters who came from President Donald Trump’s “Save America” rally breached Capitol security and entered the Capitol through doors and windows.  The mob destroyed government property, looted congressional offices and vandalized the building.

Members of Congress reconvened at 8 p.m. EST to resume the Electoral College Certification. At 1:30 a.m. EST, Biden and his vice president-elect, Kamala Harris, were certified the winners of the 2020 election.

“Today was a dark day in the history of the United States Capitol,” Pence said in a speech given to Congress prior to the session resuming. “The violence was quelled, the Capitol is secured, and the people’s work continues.”

Tualatin community responds

As communities across the country were left to process what happened that fateful day, Tualatin High School students shared their reactions and feelings to the event. Rather than capture these reactions through paraphrasing, the people will speak for themselves.

• To be honest, while many people were incredibly shocked that this type of action was taking place in America – I wasn’t as shocked as some…. People that continue to support [Trump] as a president, like those who raided the Capitol, are standing against the very things they ‘say’ they believe in. They fought police, went against the Constitution, and made fools of themselves in an effort incited by Trump and his political allies.” – Zoe Taaffe, junior
  • I was honestly shocked and a little scared. It felt surreal that people had invaded the Capitol past the police force….” – Kayla Smith, junior
  • My initial thoughts and emotions [on the situation] were anxious and not surprised…. As a country we have to change our perspective on what terrorism really is. For too long terrorism has been a ‘brown’ issue when really it has almost always been a US issue.” – Ale Gutierrez, junior
  • “My initial reaction was being outraged. My thoughts about the event as the situation evolved were that this is the definition of white supremacy, privilege, and overall terrorism.” – Vy Truong, sophomore
  • “At first, I was just in shock about what had happened, and I didn’t really believe it either as I’ve been very desensitized due to the events of the last few years. Except on that day, my emotions were already kind of intense, as a huge plot twist had just happened on my favorite series. I’m just really angry and horrified about what happened…” – Finley Arnott, sophomore
  • “I see no difference between that [Capitol siege] and the BLM riots burning stores and businesses down. At least they are expressing their concerns to the government. Not people that have nothing to do with it.” – Hassan Elassal, junior
  • “My main feelings towards the situation are almost like a visceral hatred. There are lines you simply do not cross and the terrorists at the Capitol crossed them…We’re not out of the woods yet but we’re close and I know we all can get through this abysmal time. I have hope we can.” – Francesco Lilley, senior