Olivia Rodrigo’s “drivers license” becomes worldwide sensation

Shea Carlberg, Copy Editor

Recently, one single song has had the world reminiscing about their teenage years. The 18-year-old actress and singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo broke records with her new hit single “drivers license” on music and social media platforms immediately after its release on Jan. 8, 2021. 

Spotify tweeted that the song set the record on the platform for most streams in a single day for a non-holiday song on Jan. 11, just days after release. The song also debuted No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, showing again how fast fans admired Rodrigo’s song. 

Hitting the stage on platforms worldwide, TikTok users dedicated numerous videos to the song, acting out the raw emotions that Rodrigo conveys. The artist was also featured on a TikTok commercial, and she made her Late Night TV debut on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Additionally, there was an SNL skit dedicated to the song, with the actors showing how the powerful ballad seems to relate to anybody, despite it being a teenage breakup story on the surface. Rodrigo later tweeted that the skit was the “BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER,” and posted stories of it on her Instagram. 

It isn’t just the song that has got fans riled up, but also the drama that it sparked. Fans quickly theorized that the song was dedicated to her co-star Joshua Bassett after they supposedly dated while on set for High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, with fans claiming that the “blonde girl” she refers to in the song is Sabrina Carpenter, who was seen going out with Bassett at the time. 

Carpenter also came out with a song immediately following Rodrigo’s, which sent fans believing that it was a clap back at her. No one may know the full story of this drama (as both singers denied these assertions), but it certainly got people talking, fans and listeners alike. 

Rodrigo, being of Filipino descent, also shows positive Asian representation in the media. In a time when Asian individuals are the victims of increased hate crimes solely due to their race, it is important to note the power that she holds as a successful Asian musician. 

The traction gained by up-and-coming star Olivia Rodrigo cannot be downplayed. Her song, quickly rising to #1 in America, continues to gain support from people of all ages.