Looking back to 2011: Songs turning 10-years-old this year

Isabella Kneeshaw, Staff Writer

As we step into a new year of anticipated music releases, we owe it to ourselves to reflect on the musically-defining year of 2011. While many may remember it as the year Harry Potter ended and Kim Kardashian got divorced, one thing is for certain: there was no shortage of iconic songs that carried us through the decade. 

Starting off strong we have none other than the queen herself: Beyoncé. She released “Who Run The World (Girls)” in May of 2011, a song that exemplifies girl power and became a well-known anthem for female empowerment.

Next up, British artist Adele released the heart-wrenching song “Someone Like You,” which was recorded for her second studio album, 21, and was the second single on the album to hit number one in the United States.

Additionally, the song “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO ft. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock became the third best-selling song in US digital history. Not to mention you’ll easily recognize the classic electronic instrumentals and lyrics “Party rock is in the house tonight, everybody just have a good time.” 

“I listen to ‘Someone Like You’ when I feel sad and want to go back to being young,” Tualatin High School sophomore Jonathan Mercado said, a statement that may resonate with many of us. 

2011 also brought us the familiar song “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction. The single was certified quadruple platinum as the beloved boy band, who later split in 2015, took over teenage girls’ hearts across the world.

“Somebody That I Used To Know” by Belgian-Australian singer Gotye is another staple that you’re bound to recall. He initially wrote the song at his parents’ house in Victoria, Australia with no knowledge of the success it would muster.

Rihanna also blessed us with new music in 2011, releasing “We Found Love” ft. Calvin Harris. The song is well known for its lyric, “We found love in a hopeless place” and topped the Hot 100 charts in 25 countries, not including the US.  

Another classic 2011 hit, “Stereo Hearts” by Gym Class Heroes ft. Adam Levine, will jog your memory with its own set of memorable lyrics: “My hearts a stereo / It beats for you, so listen close.”

Lastly, indie/alternative rock band Grouplove released their song “Tongue Tied” in November of 2011. The song is a classic, last-day-of-school, summertime tune, with the unforgettable lyrics, “Take me to your best friend’s house. I loved you then and I love you now.” 

Consider giving some of these classics a listen and rewind back to the simpler times of 2011.