What you need to know after getting vaccinated

Emma J Nelson, Editor-in-Chief

All Oregonians aged 16 and up are eligible to receive a COVID vaccination as of Apr. 19.

Although this allows many Tualatin High School students to get vaccinated shortly, that does not necessarily mean the world has gone back to normal. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) currently advises that people who have been fully vaccinated continue to wear their masks and abide by social distancing guidelines when in public spaces or large group gatherings. 

However, they may gather indoors without a mask with other individuals who are fully vaccinated or one unvaccinated household that does not have an increased risk for severe illness.

The Oregon government website proclaims that “until we vaccinate enough Oregonians to stop the spread of COVID-19, we are going to have to continue to wear face coverings, keep our gatherings small, stay home when we’re sick, wash our hands often and physically distance from people we don’t live with.”

Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others,” a recent CDC report states, making it imperative that individuals continue to abide by local mask mandates and practice social distancing.

One is considered “fully vaccinated” approximately two weeks after their only dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or two weeks after their second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. However, despite being fully vaccinated, that does not provide complete immunity to the virus.

The CDC reports that “a growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others,” but further investigation is required before any declaration of immunity may be made. Despite more research being necessary, one conclusion that has been reached is that it is far safer to get vaccinated than it is to forgo the process entirely. 

If you are going to be receiving your vaccination soon, there are some side effects you may experience. On the arm where you received the shot, you may experience some pain, redness and swelling. It is not advised that you take over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen or aspirin prior to your appointment, but you may take some after to reduce your symptoms if you have no other medical reason to avoid such medications.

Throughout the rest of your body you may experience fatigue, headaches, muscle pain, chills, fever and nausea, much like you would if you had contracted the virus itself. However, these symptoms are only due to the protection your body is building and should dissipate within a few days.

If you are taking a vaccine that requires multiple doses, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, then you may feel the same symptoms to a more intense extent after your second and final dose.

Although these side effects are to be expected, the CDC advises that you contact your doctor “if the redness or tenderness where you got the shot gets worse after 24 hours” or “if your side effects are worrying you or do not seem to be going away after a few days.”

For more answers regarding COVID-19 vaccination in Oregon, check here!