TTSD plans to return to in-person school next year; uncertainty lingers regarding COVID-19 measures

Ava Wittman, News Editor

With uncertainty lingering as students begin to turn their attention to next school year, questions are rising among students regarding what exactly school will look like next year. 

Through an interview with Tualatin High School principal Michael Dellerba, it is clear that, presently, the plan is to fully return to five-day-a-week in-person instruction come the fall semester. 

A fully-online, K-12 virtual academy is currently being established, however, for students of the Tigard-Tualatin School District (TTSD) who wish to continue online instruction. The academy will operate separately from the schools, with its own attendance and schedule; however, students will still be eligible to enroll in TTSD athletics and extracurriculars. Students were able to enroll in the academy from May 25 to June 6, with the academy opening in the fall.

As far as concerns regarding cohorts, social distancing, masks and vaccination requirements for students, those questions have not been answered yet. The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) has not yet clarified what the requirements will be next year for in-person school. Since TTSD accepts state funding, TTSD will have to adhere to the requirements set by ODE for next semester. It appears that the answers to these questions will be available in the not too distant future. 

“I’m assuming we’re going to open up in-person, five days a week. I’m not sure what exact requirements will look like yet, but I assume I will know this summer,” Dellerba said.