Volunteer opportunities abound this holiday season

Isabella Kneeshaw, Feature Editor

As the holiday’s get closer, it’s easy to get caught up in the lights, music and festivities, but it’s important to remember the value that comes with giving back to our communities.

One way you can make an impact is through Hands On Greater Portland’s Holiday Project Calendar. This organization offers a variety of options from November to December, ranging from grocery shopping for homebound seniors to helping sort books for teachers to freely provide for students. This outreach program is great if you are looking for service opportunities that fit into your busy schedule.  

Another opportunity right here in Tualatin is Packed with Pride, a foundation that delivers food to local Tigard-Tualatin School District (TTSD) families and community members. You can give a donation on their website, volunteer or both. Volunteer opportunities include delivering goods throughout the community, sanitizing, sorting and boxing supplies and food, or providing language translation skills. No matter how you choose to help, you are making a difference in our community. Check out their website to learn more.

Another organization always providing volunteer opportunities is the Tualatin Food Pantry, located just off of SW Borland Road. Whether you are looking for a long-term or short-term commitment, they have a range of needs to fill. Helping load carts, pack food boxes, or provide food transportation are just a few positions offered. Check out their website to learn more. 

Remember that everyone’s holiday season looks different and you have the power to make a difference in the lives of your neighbors and community. Whether it’s through the volunteering opportunities above or other ways you choose to help out this year, hopefully you find as much joy as you spread.