Tualatin students reflect on first anniversary of Jan. 6

Kayla Wolf, Co-News Editor

401 days ago, the certification of the 2020 presidential election took a violent turn when a group of protesters from former president Donald Trump’s “Save America” rally breached security and entered the U.S. Capitol, resulting in multiple arrests, injuries and deaths. 

Now, over a year later, The Wolf reviews the short- and long-term effects of that fateful day and shares Tualatin students’ predictions for what the future holds for our nation. Recent developments include 14 subpoenas issued by the House Jan. 6 Committee to states with “alternate electors” during the 2020 election and US Capitol police officer Eugene Goodman’s first public interview since the event.

Officials make notable arrests, eight from Oregon and Washington, in Jan. 6 aftermath

As of Jan. 6, 2022, approximately 725 people have been arrested in connection with the events of Jan. 6, 2021, according to NPR. Those arrested include eight people from Oregon and the southwestern region of Washington. According to KGW news, Oregonians Matthew and Jonathanpeter Klein, who claimed to have connections with the Proud Boys, a right-wing extremist group, were arrested after they were identified in photos taken inside the Capitoll. 

Like the Klein brothers, an Oregon man named Richard Harris was taken into custody after prosecutors identified Harris in footage taken within the building. 

Another man, 63-year-old Reed Christensen from Hillsboro, was arrested after being identified in several photos taken by a camera mounted on a fellow protester’s body. Christensen is an army veteran and a former employee of Intel.

Video footage from inside the Capitol also indicated Lincoln City resident Jeffrey Hubbard was involved in the event. Further legal action against Hubbard will begin in February.

There were three others arrested in Washington, including Marc Bru, Jeff Grace and Jeremy Grace. Vancouver, Wash. resident Bru is seen in pictures of protesters moving past police forces toward the Capitol. Father and son Jeff and Jeremy Grace from Battle Ground, Wash. were also spotted in multiple media clips taken within the Capitol building. 

Supreme Court upholds Jan. 6 panel’s request to access documents

On Dec. 23, Trump and his legal team issued a request to the Supreme Court that over 700 pages of documents from Jan. 6 in the National Archives be withheld from the Jan. 6 House Committee. They argued a former president should have executive privilege since they were in office during the time of the documents’ release. However, in an 8-1 decision in favor of the committee, the court upheld the request for the documents. According to NPR, these documents could release some insight into the events that led up to the Jan. 6 incident, although their contents and significance will be determined as more details become available. Only time will tell the national long-term effects of this case and the overall event.

“Our system of government not only relies upon free and fair elections for eligible voters to make their voices heard, but crucially that the results of elections are respected,” government teacher Kevin McManamon said. “Any efforts to subvert the outcomes of an election by those who are unhappy with the outcome are direct threats to the very core of our democratic governing principles.”

Tualatin community reflects

After last year’s events, The Wolf surveyed students to find out their reactions and thoughts. This year, we would like to honor some previous voices and capture students’ current perspectives. 

Question (2021): When you heard or saw that the Capitol was under siege, what was your initial reaction? 

• “To be honest, while many people were incredibly shocked that this type of action was taking place in America – I wasn’t as shocked as some…. People that continue to support [Trump] as a president, like those who raided the Capitol, are standing against the very things they ‘say’ they believe in. They fought police, went against the Constitution and made fools of themselves in an effort incited by Trump and his political allies.” – Zoe Taaffe, junior

• “I see no difference between that [Capitol siege] and the BLM riots burning stores and businesses down. At least they are expressing their concerns to the government, not people that have nothing to do with it.” – 2021 junior

Question (2022): Looking back on the event one year later, what do you think are/will be the short-term and long-term consequences?

• “There is almost certainly going to be an increase in the level of White House security, but other than that I don’t really see much coming of it…There will probably be some court cases about it though, discussing the legitimacy of jailing the perpetrators as well as the legality of ‘storming the capital.’” – Liam Crawford, junior

• “None. I don’t see anything changing from it. I don’t see how it affected anything. For a few weeks, sure, it was a pretty big deal. But now? People have forgotten. People don’t care. Because it didn’t do anything.” – Miya Trujillo, senior