Expand your skill set this forecasting season

Lily Bennett, Co-Entertainment Editor

Forecasting can be daunting, as choosing what classes will consume your precious time is no light task. While it’s always recommended to go to the Tualatin High School’s online academic planning guide to peruse the most current classes, here are some class recommendations to enlighten your forecasting process.

The juniors and seniors may remember the major remodel the Tech Wing received two years back. It has since undergone substantial upgrades. Not only are classrooms super spacious, but a wide variety of electives can be found amongst some pretty cool technology. 

For starters, Justin Burch’s construction classes can add variety to any student’s schedule. In Community Improvement Through Construction 1 and 2, they balance group and individual projects through hands-on work. Senior Lauren Garske spoke on the unique aspects of Community Improvement Through Construction 1 and wishes she had time in her high school career to complete more of Burchs’ classes.

“I like the freedom that this class gives me, and I genuinely feel like I’m learning skills that I could use later on in life. I think it’s cool to know how to use tools and fix things myself. It gives me a sense of independence,” Garske said.

Quentin Ross, also a senior, has completed Community Improvement Through Construction 1 and 2, is currently in Community Design Seminar and is Burch’s TA. Ross started taking Burch’s courses and found great success in them.

“I like how Burch is open to the class’s input on project ideas. The class is also inviting; you get to work with other people to create small parts of a project to build a greater end-product,” Ross said.

Community Design Seminar is open to those wanting to create projects to better serve their community and who may not have experience with construction. They are in the process of building fish tanks for Roberson’s science classroom, a homeless shelter and a trailer for the Robotics Team to transport their equipment. 

If you’re down to learn the basics of coding, Computer Science 1 is for you. It’s also located in the Tech Wing and is taught by Alexa Duda, a new hire here at Tualatin. Tayler Hylands, a senior at Tualatin, is glad she took the class to develop her coding skills.

“I chose this class because I wanted to learn how to code, so I could code for the games I play outside of school. Computer science is an interest of mine, and I’m glad I’ve taken some time to pursue it,” Hylands said.

For up-and-coming classes, keep an eye out for the approval of proposed classes such as Sports Medicine, taught by current wheel teacher Axel Ellsworth, and many more.