Spring cleaning: music edition

Graphic by Isabella Kneeshaw

Isabella Kneeshaw, Co-Feature Editor

Oftentimes, I find myself stuck in a music rut, listening to my November playlist all the way through January. This may be a result of my loose concept of time and its ability to fly by, but either way, I usually blare the same songs until I finally make myself sick of all my previously beloved music and am forced to venture into a new music deep dive. In order to spare you the late night screen time and scrolling through Spotify while your eyes are half open, I’ve gathered some of my current favorite songs for this spring. 

“Pretty Pictures” by Indigo De Souza

One of my new favorite artists is Indigo De Souza. She released the song “Pretty Pictures” on her 2021 Any Shape You Take album, and it is the perfect song to add to your rotation. The song discusses the feelings that come with an off-and-on relationship and is accompanied by a catchy, upbeat indie folk tune. If you like this song, I’d also recommend giving “How I Get Myself Killed” a listen, also by Souza. 

“I Think I Like When It Rains” by WILLIS

If anything will give you a hint of optimism regarding spring showers, it’s this song. Written and performed by American indie rock band WILLIS, “I Think I Like When It Rains,” encapsulates a sort of nostalgia that you didn’t know you needed. 

“Saturday Yawning” by flowerovlove

Also one of my new favorites, flowerovlove’s music is bound to lift your spirits. The 16-year-old London artist has only been releasing music for the past two years, but it is filled with the perfect dreamy, warm, upbeat melodies. Her latest single, “I Love This Song,” was just released at the end of January and is also worth a listen.  

“Amoeba” by Clairo 

“Amoeba” is the second song on Clairo’s Sling album, released in July 2021. The word amoeba stems from a Greek word meaning change, which is fitting and makes it the perfect fresh-start song. It’s chill yet lively tune would be noteworthy background music for all your spring excursions. 

“Soft Spot” by Claud

Claud’s most streamed song, “Soft Spot,” does not disappoint as the guitar instrumentals carry listeners through the beautifully sung track, which captures the mind of an overthinker. While the song may be discussing a form of heartbreak, the friendly tune makes the ultimate soundtrack for a late night, music on full volume, mid-semester drive.

Hopefully these songs give you a glimpse of all we have to look forward to as spring begins, or at least distract you from any upcoming stresses you may have.