Athletes from Class of 2022 commit to play in college

Akash Balakumar, Staff Writer

As the 2021-22 school year wraps up, The Wolf checked in with a few senior athletes who have committed to play sports in college: Sy Sullivan, Dominic Borges, Camille Schmitz and Michael Miller.

Sy Sullivan photographed by K2 Digital Photo

Sy Sullivan, baseball

Attending Fitchburg State University

How long have you been playing baseball?

“I’ve been playing baseball for 12 years.”

What was the recruiting process like?

“The recruiting process was super easy. I went to a camp for another school, and there they were. They asked me to come out to Fitchburg for a visit, and I committed the next week.”

What ultimately led to you choosing to go to Fitchburg?

“The facilities are super nice. The team is super young, so we will be good in the years to come. The coach is super smart on the field, and the campus is what I really wanted as well. Everything is right there on the campus, and I have a lot of family near the school.”

Do you have a favorite memory from your high school athletics career?

“My favorite memory from high school was my first start on varsity. I got a lot of support and it was just a really good game in general.”

What are you most looking forward to for next year?

“I am most looking forward to meeting the team, getting the college athlete experience and playing games in a different atmosphere.” 

Dominic Borges photographed by Dylnmedia

Dominic Borges, football

Attending University of Northwestern

How long have you been playing football?

“I have been playing football for about 9 years.”

What was the recruiting process like?

“It was a pretty straightforward process.”

What ultimately led to you choosing to go to University of Northwestern?

“I chose to go there because of their education and location.”

“My favorite memory from high school was our trip to California for our opening game of my senior season.”

“Making new relationships with classmates and coaches.” 

Camile Schmitz, softball

Camille Schmitz photographed by Karen Field

Attending Monterey Peninsula College

How long have you been playing softball?

“I have been playing for 9 years.” 

What was the recruiting process like?

“The recruiting process was hard. For about four years now I have been traveling, doing exposure tournaments, trying to get attention from college recruiters. At the beginning of this year, I had it narrowed down to three colleges who offered me spots on their teams. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a visit to Monterey and I fell in love with it. The next week I canceled my visits to the other two universities on the east coast because I was so sure I found my future home. The head coach down at MPC is so amazing and was able to answer all my questions. I got to know the girls on the team, and knew it was a perfect fit.”

What ultimately led to you choosing to go to Monterey Peninsula College?

“The first factor that led me to choose Monterey Peninsula was the amazing coach and team. When I was on my official visit, I was lucky enough to get to know the girls and watch a practice. I absolutely love the coaching style and team dynamic. The second factor that led me to MPC was the coach’s experience and amazing record of sending his girls off to four year universities with partial or full-ride scholarships after graduating from MPC. I knew that this would be the best place for my collegiate education and softball career to start. Also Monterey, California is absolutely beautiful!”

“My favorite memory from playing here at Tualatin would be this season. So far, we are undefeated, and I am having so much fun playing and sharing the senior role with my two best friends. Our games have been nothing short of competitive, challenging games, which are always the best. I am so proud with what this year’s team has already accomplished, and I am so excited to see how far we go in playoffs!”

“I am most looking forward to being pushed to limits I haven’t been pushed to yet. Playing at the collegiate level entails mental and physical toughness that I am so excited to achieve!”

Michael Miller, baseball

Michael Miller photographed by Henry Kaus

Attending Catholic University

“I started playing 14 years ago.”

What was the recruiting process like?

“It was different than what most athletes probably have gone through because of COVID, but I basically had to reach out to a bunch of different coaches via email and send them any video that I could since they weren’t capable of coming out to watch me play.”

What ultimately led to you choosing Catholic?

“I chose Catholic for a few reasons. I first met the coach at a camp that I went to in New York, and he told me that he liked what he saw from me and the two of us hit it off. I visited the school a few times and really liked the campus, and the academics there are pretty stellar, too.”

“Last year on Senior Day when we won the game in the last inning and everyone dog-piled on each other.”

“I’m looking forward to being able to receive a great education while playing at the next level.”

Tualatin athletes, you will be missed. Good luck in college!