Main office ladies say farewell

Photo by Isabella Kneeshaw

Isabella Kneeshaw, Co-Feature Editor

If you have ever stepped foot in the main office, whether you were brought there by a tardy or an early call out of school, you have likely been met with the welcoming faces of Marie Shockloss, Debbie Harrison and Debra Olson. These three women have been a beloved part of Tualatin’s classified staff for many years. All of us will feel a vital piece of our school is missing next fall, as all three prepare to retire this spring. 

During their years at Tualatin, they have seen many students come and go and have without a doubt collected memories along the way. Olson, who has been working at the high school for the past 22 years, reflects on her favorite moments getting to train student office assistants.

They greeted and helped anyone entering the office, [they helped] answer phones and work on projects with and/or for me.  Working side by side, one-on-one every other day for 90 minutes allowed me to get to know them well,” Olson said. “They continue to hold a special place in my heart. I always felt honored when I would occasionally be contacted years later to be invited to their wedding.”

The in-person interactions with students are the things these ladies cherish most, along with their relationships with other staff members and all the events unique to TuHS. In response to what they’d miss most, the answers largely included the variety of relationships they’ve built over the years. 

I’ve loved the entirety of my job over the years. There is much I will miss. The students for sure and most certainly the staff. I’ve always enjoyed greeting the many staff members who enter the office every day, all day. I enjoyed the brief visits, the long visits, getting to know them and the special friendships,” Olson elaborated.

Although the daily interactions with people at TuHS will be missed, Olson, Shockloss and Harrison all are looking forward to a peaceful, family-centered life post-retirement. 

Shockloss, whose name likely appears in your inbox frequently throughout the year as she coordinates communication and school-wide updates, has been working as head secretary for TuHS the past six years. She previously held the same position at Deer Creek Elementary and before that was an Instructional Assistant at Byrom Elementary. 

I want to spend more time with my mom and family who live in Germany as well as my first two-month-old grandchild who lives in Bend,” Shockloss shared.

Harrison and Olson also shared their plans to spend more time with family, while taking advantage of their opportunities to travel and just appreciate what life has to offer. 

Keeping all of the school’s attendance in order, Harrison has been at TuHS in her current position for over 20  years. Before that, she spent a couple of years in social services with the district at Tualatin Resource Center. 

As they prepare to part ways with their careers here, they all are sending words of encouragement to the outgoing Senior Class. 

“Be yourself and be kind to one another and follow your dreams,” Harrison said.

While they will be missed, we truly wish them nothing but the best in their futures beyond the walls of TuHS.