Curb your enthusiasm

Andrew Epp, Co-Bilingual Editor

When you walk in through the high school doors on your first day and think that “nothing’s gonna change,” you’re in for a real surprise. Let me tell you, it’s not all gonna be the same because that simply isn’t how life works. 

Things don’t necessarily stay the same over time, and often they are subject to change. It’s just how things progress. For example, the people who are your friends now are probably not going to be your friends down the line. What you end up doing when you get out into the real world may not be what you want to do right now, and just because things are going well for you right now doesn’t mean that they are going to stay the same in the future. You might be thinking, “This kid, talking about how things are only gonna get worse as time goes on, what a bummer.” Well, you’re right, things are going to get worse, but that doesn’t mean that things can’t get better. 

As we go through life, we have to take things in stride. We have to overcome obstacles, and at the end of the day we come out all the better for it. Each obstacle that we tackle is something that we learn from. We may not necessarily remember everything, but we do remember what it’s like to lose or get hurt. And yes, getting hurt sucks, but it doesn’t mean that you should stay stuck in the past and dwell on what you could have done differently, or remember, “the good old days.” 

The thing is, the world doesn’t revolve around you. No matter how you feel and what you’re going through, time marches on. That’s the reality of it. Trust me, there are some days that, heck, even I don’t want to get up and deal with the things in my life. But I choose to do so every morning because I know no matter how rough things are right now doesn’t it mean it will be like this forever. 

So remember, get out there and curb your enthusiasm.