College applications once again arouse stress, anxiety

Kent Pham, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year again! Year after year, tons of seniors at Tualatin High School rush to get their college applications in during the first part of their final year here, while also dealing with work, school, sports and everything else many high schoolers juggle on a daily basis. With deadlines quickly approaching, senior David Jones discussed his experience so far with his applications.

“You definitely have to put a lot aside, especially if you want to do a thorough job,” Jones said. “You end up sacrificing a lot. One college is manageable, but when you start [applying] to multiple colleges, there’s so many different essays to write, and a lot of the prompts don’t line up, so you end up writing at least 2-3 essays for every college. It gets pretty overwhelming.”

College applications are just another beast seniors have to deal with if they are planning on attending a university. Often, students have many other responsibilities to tend to, whether it be an after school job, school clubs, homework or even taking care of their siblings. This leaves seniors with little-to-no free time to spend with friends and family. 

Fear not! Tualatin College Counselors Jennifer Butts and Kathy Stallkamp in the school library are always available to support all students, whether it be on essays or applications in general. A crucial tip they have for seniors is doing early applications, if the university allows it.

“There is a lower percentage of students who [apply] in the fall, who get their early application in, so their chances of getting in are greater. They don’t have to commit to that school; it just gives them that opportunity to get accepted earlier, relieve some stress,” Stallkamp said.

If you have the ability to apply early, take the opportunity to do so. You’ll likely save your future self a world of stress. For the Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Classes, the college counselors also have some words of advice for you. 

“Keep your grades up. Create really a sound, solid GPA. Engage in volunteer experiences, making you get out in the community, and use your time wisely. Enrich yourself, basically. Participate in clubs or sports,” Butts said.

Make sure you stay involved with the community. Whether it be with the school or outside, a student with a strong connection within their community will stand out to many universities.

If you plan on continuing your education in college, good luck on your applications. To everyone else, continue to build that resumé.