Job opportunities abound for Tualatin teens

Graphic by Isabella Kneeshaw.

Clare Sherman, Staff Writer

If you’re looking for a well-paying job this school year, you’re in luck! Due to current economic conditions, there are lots of high-salary jobs available to teens in the Portland Metro area, ranging from fast food to swim instruction.

McDonald’s currently offers  $14 to $18 an hour for part-time employees in Tualatin. Job tasks for these positions include taking orders, preparing food and serving customers. Job benefits include paid sick leave, employee discounts, free meals and a very flexible schedule – whatever works for you!

NothingBundtCakes, which has locations in both Clackamas and Tualatin, hires workers ages 16 and up for their full-time Guest Service Representative position. It’s a “no experience required” job that pays $13.50 an hour and can be eligible for a raise after just 90 days of employment. You’re there to create a friendly environment for all customers, offer suggestions on new merchandise and to sell the cakes.

A great opportunity to stay active outside of school and sports is to join the Tualatin High School aquatics program as an employee. They’re looking for lifeguards and swim instructors that can work Monday through Friday. Lifeguards and swim instructors must be 15 years or older and must have CPR, First Aid and Lifeguard certification before being interviewed to be hired.

A super popular place to go in the fall is Lee Farms, a fair that has hayrides, pumpkin patches and various games, treats and cute animals! They hire people 16 years or older for multiple positions, such as food service employees, pumpkin pricing attendants, cashiers and bakery assistants, none of which require prior work experience. As a hired employee, you  would have the opportunity to try out all kinds of jobs at Lee’s. Their training program is designed to allow you as an employee to rotate between different positions that vary in the level of interaction with people and location of work (outside vs. inside) until you find the best fit.

Do any of these options sound perfect for you? If so, it’s super easy to apply to each of  them and likely get an interview, even with very few qualifications. And these are just a few of the potentially hundreds of opportunities at businesses across the Portland Metro area which are looking for students just like you.