Summer has many excited for new concerts

Graphic by Tullia Salboro.

Liam Frith, Staff Writer

This upcoming summer marks the first fully COVID-19-free one in awhile. Many musicians are taking advantage of this fact, going back on tour in full force and performing after the last couple summers proved difficult for music. Because of this, the Portland music scene is looking uniquely diverse and energetic recently, a trend that will only continue and in many ways amplify into the coming summer months. 

This is something two Tualatin High School students who enjoy going to concerts, Jaden Halstead and Nate McDougal, agree with. 

“It’s for sure more energetic post- It’s super active because there’s been a couple summers of everything not really fully coming out. So now it’s going to be like the real thing,” McDougal said.

Halstead hit on the same point. “There’s a lot of stuff I’ve been listening to that is gonna come to town for the first time since some of it got popular during the pandemic. I’m pretty excited for that all to kind of come alive once I see it in person.”

The enthusiasm for this summer’s music is likely attributable to the various acts coming to town. This summer, concert goers will have the opportunity to see popular performances such as Beabadoobee, Alex G, Death Grips and Big Thief along with many talented, lesser-known artists and groups.

With this number of shows, it seems like everyone’s favorite artist is coming to town. What concert is Halstead most excited for?

“The Xaiver Wolf, Bones and Eddy Baker concerts gonna be amazing. I’m looking forward to being around people who go to the show because we all have that shared connection of listening to the same stuff. It’s gonna be great. I think it’s at the Roseland, too, which will be fun.”

McDougal also has a favorite he’s looking forward to.

“I really wanna go to the Yves Tumor concert. I know for a fact it’s just gonna be a really good vibe, and I’ll be surrounded by cool people. I’m looking forward to that whole atmosphere. It sounds pretty nice.”

What’s even more exciting than the big and small names going to traditional venues are the house shows that have been popping up recently. Shows held in new, usually unsanctioned areas for cheap are always fun to attend, especially when you don’t know what is playing. Instagram account “@portlandshows” keeps a good list of these, posting new smaller shows on their story every weekend.

Whether you see Alex G, Xavier Wolf or Yves Tumor, one thing is for sure: concerts this summer will be amazing. With more and more artists either announcing a stop in Portland or gaining local popularity at random house shows, these next couple months will hold a lot of good experiences.