Victoria Gillard
Victoria Gillard
Humor Editor & Social Media

Olivia Rodrigo’s GUT-wrenching album revamps her reputation

Famous for her award-winning debut album SOUR, Olivia Rodrigo released her second studio album GUTS, on Friday, Sept. 8. With high anticipation and fans worrying about the possibility of a sophomore slump, Rodrigo exceeded expectations. Critics and fans have done nothing but sing praises of Rodrigo’s rollercoaster of an album. 

GUTS features pop/rock-inspired tracks from blasting, upbeat songs, such as “All American Bitch” and “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl,” to delicate ballads like “Vampire” and “Lacy.” Rodrigo’s lyrics dive deep into her struggles with sudden stardom, transitioning from girlhood to adulthood, love and societal expectations as a young woman. Songs such as “Logical” are some of the stronger and mature tracks, with her captivating voice singing about the difficulty of making rational decisions in a toxic relationship that leads to self-blame. 

Tualatin High School junior Calleigh Germer gave her opinion.

“[Her sound is] much more mature, especially in this album. She really branched out and used different styles.”

Producer Dan Nigro takes pop-punk elements and lets them thrive in tracks like the fun and playful “Bad Idea Right?”, which makes lying to your friends about getting back with your ex sound as if it’s not a bad idea.

“I feel like at first, I honestly think it took me a while to get used to her new rock sound, but the sadder songs hit at first,” Germer said.

Nigro continues the tense thrill of channeled ‘80s and ‘90s rock and the new-wave we saw sprinkled in SOUR, but takes the suspense in the songs up a notch as shown in his indie-emo rock band As Tall As Lions. You can hear this old-school inspiration in tracks like “Love Is Embarrassing.” Nigro has worked with other big stars in successful projects, such as Conan Gray’s Kid Krow and Caroline Polachek’s Pang

With Rodrigo’s GUTS being such a powerful album, it proves that she has a voice and songwriting skills that are reputation-changing. She changed her character as an artist, is built to last and (although some suspect otherwise) isn’t going anywhere.