Rachael Ann Sanford
Staff Writer & Graphics Team

Holidays are about more than just presents

In a society that emphasizes flashy presents and trips around the world for the holidays, it can be hard to remember what the holiday season is really about. While presents and trips are fun and often a way people show love, quality time together is the most important part of the season. Material items run out, but relationships and memories are forever. This holiday season, give the gift of presence to your loved ones. 

In a recent study, 495 men and women between the ages of 18 and 93 completed a survey about 60 possible ways people feel love. The questions began with “Most people feel loved when…” and the scenarios included quality time with friends and family, receiving and giving gifts and spending time outside. There were also responses about negative things, such as arguments and being ignored by loved ones because of social media and technology. 

The responses overwhelmingly emphasized the psychological importance of human interaction and memories together over receiving material items. Especially during the holiday season, it is easy to value material items and technology over the people we care about the most. 

Several different religious holidays are celebrated in the winter. For Christians, which are a large demographic in this nation, Christmas is celebrated on Dec. 25 to commemorate Christ’s birth. Those who believe in God come together to celebrate their love for each other and the gift of family God gave them. Followers of other religions and non-religious people often celebrate family and love during the holiday season as well. What is often forgotten is the importance of togetherness over presents and money, and the psychological need for human connection beyond material items. 

This holiday season, remember that the gift of family and love will far outweigh any gift money can buy. Tell your friends and family you love them.