The final verdict: Seniors tasked with making final college decisions

Courtesy+photo
Courtesy photo

The next few months point to a crucial time for seniors, a moment marked by a mix of anticipation and fear. The task of choosing a college can be terrifying. 

While the idea of making this decision might seem straightforward, the path to selecting the right school and path for you is intricate and influenced by factors such as financial considerations, social dynamics, weather preferences, and maybe even the appeal of joining a fraternity or sorority. 

Despite the uncertainty that many students face about their academic futures, these two Tualatin High School seniors have a clear vision of what’s next.

Senior and track star Elizabeth Graham has recently committed to Cornell University In Ithaca, New York. Graham had some specific criteria in mind when choosing her school.

“I honestly love their track team and felt like I would fit in perfectly,” she said. “The campus is awesome and beautiful. I’m genuinely excited to go.” 

For Graham, the decision-making process went beyond the academic reputation. It extended to the need of finding a university with a great track team. The need for academic excellence and her love for track played an important role in her choice. 

Everyone seeks something different, whether it’s a strong track team or good financial considerations, or maybe even a mix of both. The ideal path for you exists. 

Another senior and dance captain Taylor Babicky recently committed to the University Of Oregon in Eugene. 

“I grew up at UO’s football games and having lived in Oregon my whole life,” Babicky said, “so staying close to home was a plus.” 

She further explained that after factoring in scholarships and aid, “the cost of attending was pretty reasonable for me.” 

Anticipating the upcoming school year, Babicky expressed excitement. 

“When the school year starts, I think I’m going to rush, but I’m not sure yet.” 

Despite the indecision regarding sororities, she was enthusiastic about being on campus. 

“I’m excited, and I’ll be with a few friends, too.” 

Her decision is a clear blend of personal connection, financial considerations and the excitement of embracing the college experience with friends.

When looking at the next step, seek something unique, whether it’s a strong sports team, financial stability or a combination of both. It’s clear that the ideal path awaits each individual, as the graduating Class of 2024 navigates this next step in their academic journey. Graham and Babicky serve as perfect examples of clarity and purpose within the uncertainty that is often felt with college decisions.