Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Copy Editor

Is this new year your year?

It’s a new year. The fresh start of a new year leaves people with optimistic views and the will to change something in their lives that they weren’t able to change the year before. 

Although the determination is there, by the time February comes around, all that determination is long gone. There are multiple problems that may cause this burn out. A big reason may be that the goals people set for themselves are too ambitious. It’s always good to have ambition, but if your goal was to go to the gym six days a week while you’ve never been to the gym in your life, it’s going to be hard to make that happen. 

With that in mind, next time you choose your next resolution, remember to keep it attainable and reasonable. The new year is not all about creating resolutions for yourself; it’s a time to restart with a clean slate. 

For most people it’s easier to try to do something in January because the new year is a natural time to evaluate how you’re doing and how you might make your life better. If you’re really serious about trying to do something new, then don’t wait for that clean slate; start right now. 

It’s never too late to change something that you want to change. 

Senior Jerry Cortez had a strong start to his New Year’s resolutions. 

“My New Year’s resolution was to apply to colleges and finish my senior year strong,” he said. “Although I did finish applying to colleges, I’m lacking the motivation right now to even show up to classes.” 

If you feel like it’s too late to try and accomplish your resolutions, remember that it’s only the second month of the new year. Take your resolutions slowly and enjoy the progress you are going to make.