Liam Frith
Liam Frith
Entertainment Editor

Fully experiencing love requires vulnerability

Art+by+Samantha+Dunn+
Art by Samantha Dunn

In a society that often preaches the virtue of patience and the idea that good things come to those who wait, the pursuit of love often proves the opposite. Love, whether emanating from family, friends or a romantic partner, is not something that can be calmly awaited. It is an active chase – an act of courage from within and a profound act of service to others. 

In recent times, the action of not chasing but attracting love has gained popularity amongst this generation. While grounded in the principles of self-confidence and self-love, this concept often fails to capture the dynamic of genuine human connections. Love is not a force that simply gravitates towards those manifesting. Instead, it’s a harmony between trust, communication and the willingness to invest time and effort into relationships.

Love from family is often considered unconditional, yet what enhances family ties are constant effort and understanding. The love between friends necessitates active involvement, empathy, shared experiences and authentic conversations. 

“I still continue to show love by actively listening and having good conversations, which I feel is important to maintaining a healthy relationship,” junior Marc Khanna, co-copy editor of The Wolf, said. “I also try to spend time with them, whether it’s just having a casual conversation or hanging out.” 

In romantic relationships, healthy love involves vulnerability, communication and a genuine commitment to nurturing the connection. 

To wait for love is to miss out on the richness of human connection. It is not a commodity that can be stocked on a shelf, waiting for the perfect moment to be claimed. It is a dynamic force that thrives through shared laughter, tears and those everyday moments that define our lives.

A few staff writers from The Wolf stated that communication is society’s strongest strength and weakest weakness. Senior Frida Ruiz, staff writer and a member of the graphics team, added her personal opinion and specifically highlighted the importance of communication. 

“Love involves not only feelings but also emotional support,” she said. “Communicating about one’s struggles, successes and daily experiences helps create a supportive environment. It allows people to be there for each other during both happy and challenging times….w

The idea that love is an act of courage stems from the vulnerability it demands. To open oneself up to the possibility of rejection or disappointment requires a brave heart. It requires acknowledging imperfections, embracing fears and stepping into the unknown with hope.

Moreover, love is a profound act of service to others. It goes beyond the boundaries of self-interest, requiring us to prioritize the well-being and happiness of those we care about. Acts of kindness, understanding and sacrifice become the currency of love, enriching our own lives and those of others. 

Senior Victoria Gillard, humor editor for The Wolf, works hard to stay persistent with her relationships with others and herself, as well.

“I take a look in the mirror and reflect on my relationships, reminding myself of the value and importance of being a good friend,” she said. “I’ve seen the whole ‘manifesting love’ trend on TikTok, and it’s really affected how I view my friendships, but I’m relearning to reflect on myself to improve on my relationships.”

The saying “don’t chase, attract” encourages self-confidence, but it risks promoting a passive approach to one of life’s most rewarding gifts. If we discard the notion of waiting for love, we embrace the courage it takes to actively pursue and maintain meaningful connections. Senior Liam Frith, entertainment editor has made this a priority.

“Signaling to people I love that I actively care about them through small acts like giving them a call or offering advice is a way I’ve been able to maintain good connections with family and friends close to me,” he said. 

In doing so, we not only enrich our own lives but also strengthen the power to connect with people, inspire acts of kindness and bring joy to our lives. Love, after all, is a journey worth taking. Love, in every situation, is a true act of courage and an active pursuit we need to invest in.