Liam Frith
Liam Frith
Entertainment Editor

Get excited for geocaching

Photo+by+Lea+Olivares+
Photo by Lea Olivares

Geocaching is a worldwide scavenger hunt that has been going on for over 23 years now. 

On May 2, 2000, also known as Blue Switch Day, the U.S. government made GPS technology available to the general public. In celebration, developer Dave Ulmer started this app as a way to use this new technology that can bring the world a little closer together. There are now more than 3 million active geocaches available all around the world. 

As an avid geocacher myself, I have gained so much more than silly little prizes found in containers hidden in a forest. Geocaches reveal the rich and hidden history of the places nearby. It is common to find caches hidden in cemeteries or in memory of someone. The cache “Love is the answer” in memory of someone with the initials ALR was placed in the eccentric front yard of a house. Not only are you able to find fun knick-knacks hidden within a beautiful garden, but there are also fairy decorations and tic-tac-toe available for visitors to interact with. 

No matter if you have 20,000 finds or a few, geocaching is perfect for anyone. Chris Parra, a senior at Tualatin High School (TuHS) has gone geocaching before and loved it.

“My first impression was how fun it was and how exciting it was to be out in the real world with my friends,” Parra said. “You know, just solving mysteries, and I think it was something fun to do when you don’t have anything else to do.” 

From the start, Parra, even as a beginner, was able to have a blast with his friends, all thanks to the cache he found.

All in all, geocaching offers a capsule full of exploration, the outdoors and human connection that can be enjoyed by everyone. Not only does this provide the thrill of the hunt, but it also creates appreciation of the effort and sentiment behind the hide. 

So as the sun sets later in the evening and temperatures rise, it is a perfect calling for you all to go find your very own geocache!