Evelyn Rusnac
Staff Writer

Tualatin High’s library introduces Sensory Hour

Art+by+Parker+Morgan+
Art by Parker Morgan

This school year, there is a new accommodation made to our school’s library; it is  called “Sensory Hour.” If you haven’t heard about Sensory Hour, it is held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1-2 p.m. 

During sensory hour, the library must remain as silent as possible and the lights are dimmed down. Also, fidgets are put out on tables for those who would like to use those resources to reduce stress. 

Sensory Hour was originally created by our TuHS librarian Jennifer Perez and former art teacher Brenna White. 

“It started with myself and Ms. White during lunch after one of the classes did yoga in here, and the calm in the library from changing the lighting and requiring it to be pretty quiet,” Perez said. “I talked to Mrs. Mills and a lot of our teachers who work with our neurodivergent students about how they felt about it and what we might need. It was a group involvement and we are hoping to have it grow!” 

Sensory Hour has been a new and valuable experience that has completely changed the environment of the library during those times. Students are seen working silently and vigorously, whereas they might not have acted the same way without the addition of Sensory Hour.