Consider others’ spirits before blasting those Christmas tunes

Stella Fetherston, Staff Writer

I have been excited for this holiday season, and its music, since Nov. 1. If there’s one thing I’ve depended on since age 6, it’s that Christmas music hits are immortal and irreplaceable. The only covers I’ll even consider are by Michael Bublé. However, now that the countdown has begun, most people aren’t excited to hear the suave voice of Mariah Carey chanting through the speaker. Obviously, Christmas is not the only winter holiday, so any radio station that’s decided to start playing Christmas music is probably on somebody’s black list by now.

Personally, I don’t like hearing Christmas music on the radio until Dec. 10. But Spotify is still here for me to listen alone. There’s nothing quite like winter nostalgia: being wrapped up in blankets, watching the snow hit the window pane and snuggling up with a mug of hot cocoa and a good story. But I understand that the wave from Halloween to Christmas can be nauseating, especially when there’s a whole holiday in between. So for those of us who can’t wait for the Christmas jingles to begin, maybe enjoying the experience privately would be better for everyone involved.

Ella Davis, a fellowWolfwriter and sophomore, believes that, “listening to Christmas music super early ruins the vibes of the holiday.”

Savoring what is such a monumental holiday to most Americans is important; we don’t want to waste all of the excitement before Christmas happens. Keeping that in mind, many Americans celebrate other holidays in the winter season. I can’t even remember the last time I heard a Hanukkah song on the radio. Music should bring us together, not separate us.

As Davis said, “If the cheer isn’t here, I don’t want that music in my ear.”