The Wolf prepares students for second semester of online-learning

Teagan Gaviola and Emma J Nelson

This school year is evidently much different than the past; however, there’s still one constant that everyone can look forward to—a new semester. This year, the feeling of starting anew with the second semester is elevated, since every student (with some exceptions) has a completely new schedule. Despite the fresh start, an entirely new routine can be quite daunting. Here at The Wolf, we want to help our fellow peers prepare as much as possible for the new semester, so we’ve gathered together some tips and tricks that’ll help guide you through this fresh start.

• Take a look at your class schedule from Semester 1 and compare it to that of Semester 2. Are your classes harder or easier? Are they core classes or electives? By looking into what you’re taking on this upcoming semester, you may enter it with a stronger idea of what you need to prioritize. 
  • With all new classes, you have all new impressions to make on your teachers. You should turn on your camera for day one to show the class your bright, smiling face! Seeing how easy that was on day 1, maybe consider turning on your camera more often this semester. 
  • It’s important to maintain a routine that really wakes you up in the morning. Whether you go downstairs to eat right away or you brush your teeth and wash your face before making your presence known, consistency is key. By following such routines every morning, you are conditioned to feel energized by performing certain actions.
  • Try to have some fun with your classes, especially in the first lesson with a fun game of First Day Bingo! Share a copy of your board with friends in other classes, and see who can get a blackout first! Don’t know how to make a bingo board? Here’s a Wolf approved example!
  • Identify the study habits that worked well for you last semester and implement those habits into your regular study routine. Don’t have any study habits that worked well for you? Here are some to guide you along your studying journey!
    • Study in increments: it’s important to take breaks. Even if you feel that you work better through a longer duration of time, it’s still good to rest your mind for a bit. During these breaks, however, try not to go on your phone since it’s easy to fall into a rabbit hole of social media. Instead, try things that allow you to step away from your computer—stand up and walk around, maybe grab a snack while you’re at it. Meditating during your breaks can also help clear your mind and calm you down. Studying in 25-minute increments with 5 minute breaks in between is a good method of incremental studying.  
    • Prioritize your assignments: finish your quick and easy assignments first so that you can focus on your longer assignments for the rest of your study session.
  • Think about all the habits that hurt you last semester, whether it was academic or mental health-related. Now consider the ways you could possibly reduce these habits. Did you prioritize school over your well-being and eventually got burnt out? Or did you not prioritize school enough? It’s important to acknowledge what hurt you last semester to be able to grow this semester and be as successful as you want to be 🙂 
  • Classes may be starting at 10 a.m., but that doesn’t mean you sh0uld be going to sleep at 2 a.m. Getting consistent, quality sleep is essential for maintaining mental health and academic performance, but that doesn’t always mean “8 hours.” It’s also about following your circadian rhythm and going to sleep when you are tired.

With these tips to help guide you through your new schedule, we hope that they help lessen the stress that students so often face. The Wolf wishes you good luck for the new semester, and remember—your well-being is the utmost priority, so try not to let your self-care fall through the cracks.