Lucy Lyons
Lucy Lyons
Opinion Editor

Valentine’s Day deserves criticisms

Art by Frida Ruiz

Valentine’s Day is a day filled with unnecessary decorations, irritating displays of love and exchanges of mediocre candy. As hard as I have tried to enjoy Valentine’s Day as much as the next person, there are certain things that I just cannot get past. 

Firstly, Valentine’s gifts don’t really serve a purpose. Sure, they are a fun way to show someone you care about them, but can they be used in any practical manner? Nope. 

“Flowers are nice and then they die,” senior Alyssa Allen said. 

Chocolates have the potential to be good, but also have the potential to leave a horrible taste in your mouth. Teddy bears and other stuffed animals do nothing but take up space and collect dust. These cheap stuffed animals are ugly, and not to mention unrealistic. Have you ever seen a pink bear in the wild? Because I sure haven’t. 

“It’s the thought that counts, but think harder,” complained Allen. “There are so many better things you could get instead of a bear.” 

Instead of sticking to cliché Valentine’s gifts, here are some examples of practical gifts you could give out instead: plain socks that match any outfit, dish soap, paper for doing math homework or perhaps some canned soup that won’t go bad. Each of these gifts are much more useful to the recipient than sweets could ever be. Allen also recommends hair ties, hot glue sticks and acts of service. She would prefer someone cleans her room instead of buying a cheap stuffed animal. 

Speaking of sugary treats, there is nothing worse than Valentine’s candies. I don’t know a single person who eats conversation hearts and enjoys them. Fun Dip not only tastes atrocious, but it is impossible to eat without making a mess everywhere. By no means should I need to eat a piece of candy over a plate, and every time I attempt to eat Fun Dip, that is what ends up happening. It also needs to be stated that chocolate does not go with everything. 

“I don’t understand why people put nuts in chocolate,” questioned Allen. 

The only redeeming parts about Valentine’s Day for a single person include getting to dress in pink and red and listening to Valograms, because the Crimsonnaires are spectacular. However, whether or not you agree with any of the criticisms mentioned above, the most important thing is that you have fun.