Victoria Gillard
Victoria Gillard
Humor Editor & Social Media

A love letter to the International Baccalaureate program

Art by Frida Ruiz

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is something that makes most people say, “What is that?” Advanced Placement (AP) students say, “Isn’t that just an easier version of AP classes?” To that I say, no, AP students, it is not an easier version of your classes. IB classes, while useful for college preparation, have also caused many sleepless nights and tears. As I am getting ready to leave high school and go to college, here are some of the things about the IB program that I am immensely grateful for. 

The ability to function with no sleep

The IB program has taught me something very valuable: the ability to survive a day on no sleep. I have spent countless nights staying up until the wee hours of the morning to finish an IB biology lab or finish an IB English book in one sitting. While most of this is my fault for procrastinating, I really appreciate that IB classes have prepared me for the sleepless nights to come in college!

The ability to write an essay of any length

As a student who is pursuing the Full IB Diploma, I had to write the daunting, terrifying, 4,000 word Extended Essay (EE). I am now fully confident that I can write an essay of any length in college because writing those 4,000 words was one of the hardest assignments I have ever done. 4,000 words is nothing!

The ability to understand what a Null Hypothesis is

While I have no intention of ever studying biology again, I want to personally thank IB biology 1 for teaching me the definition of a Null Hypothesis. If I ever have something to prove (or disprove), I will remember the 95% Confidence Interval and a T-Test!

The ability to procrastinate and still get things done on time

This may be my biggest thank you of all! I have proven to myself time and time again that I can, in fact, read an entire IB English book in two days or do an entire IB biology lab in one night. The biggest life lesson IB classes have taught me is this: procrastination is only bad when you do not get it done. In my case, I always pull it together because I just have to. Thank you, IB!