Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Copy Editor

Are you being influenced or manipulated?

Photo by Olivia Beauchemin

The distinction between manipulation and influence lies in one’s intent. Both are powerful tools that shape our choices and behaviors, but understanding the difference is essential for creating healthy connections with ourselves and our peers. 

It’s hard to differentiate between the two concepts as your mind is being swayed. As humans, we accept influence into our lives, usually not realizing it. It’s a matter of the intent behind what we are accepting. 

The idea of manipulation does not come from a place of security within oneself. Manipulation involves using tactics to control and deceive other people for personal gain, at the expense of their well-being. We see this being used constantly throughout our lives. Students may encounter instances of manipulation through peer pressure, deceit or emotional manipulation. Recognizing these tactics early on and being aware of your own boundaries and values is essential in resisting this toxicity. High school specifically is where we see manipulation and influence being exerted. The four years we spend here become a key part of our personal development, so being careful with what persuades us can create a healthier environment for us.

It’s extremely important to have self-awareness. Understanding your values, beliefs and priorities will provide a solid foundation for making decisions aligned with your true self. Self-empowerment can come from many things, but specifically reflecting on your choices and being mindful of external pressures can uplift you. Influence is usually a positive gesture that’s used for personal growth and collective well-being. Friends, teachers, parents and peers can use a positive influence to inspire you to pursue your goals or promote healthy habits. Personal development and stronger connections come from recognizing and appreciating those impacts.

Amid self-discovery and personal growth, understanding the difference between manipulation and influence is a significant step toward a satisfied high school experience and a successful future.