Sienna Smiley
Staff Writer

Pumpkin pie review: searching for the best pie

Photo by Charlotte Garpestad

Every fall, I make it my mission to eat as much pumpkin pie as possible. This year, I teamed up with my good friend Charlotte Garpestad, a senior at Tualatin High School. We tried pumpkin pies from four different locations to decide which one we liked best. After critiquing each pie in four different categories, we ranked each one out of 10.

Costco – 8/10

After visiting the local Costco, we were able to pick up one large pie for $5.99. Out of all the pumpkin pies we tried, Costco was definitely the most affordable. This pie is a wonderful option for large gatherings because of its mild taste. It has a neutral flavor that doesn’t rely too heavily on a specific spice, so most people who enjoy pumpkin pie will be satisfied with Costco’s. 

“I like Costco pumpkin pie because it reminds me of my childhood. We would always get it for the holidays,” Garpestad said. 

The only thing that was slightly off was the crust. It was a bit soggy, but still enjoyable. 

Banning’s – 9/10

Banning’s is a diner located in Tigard. We purchased two slices of pumpkin pie for $6.85 each. Although it was much more expensive than some of the other options we tried, Banning’s pie was delicious. The filling had a strong cinnamon flavor, and came topped with whipped cream, which was definitely a bonus. The thickness of the crust was perfect; it was crumbly and melted in our mouths. 

“Overall, Banning’s was my favorite,”  Garpestad said. 

Shari’s – 7/10

We purchased two slices of pumpkin pie from Shari’s for $4.29 each. Out of all the pies we tasted, Shari’s had one of the best crusts. It was crumbly, and the filling-to-crust ratio was perfect. As for the filling, it was soft and had the perfect amount of moisture. However, the nutmeg flavor was a bit too strong. 

Safeway – 6/10

Safeway offers a whole pumpkin pie that is similar to Costco’s price, but it is much smaller. Safeway’s pumpkin pie had extremely flavorful filling, and the texture was smooth and light. The problem with this pie was the crust. The crust was way too thick, and made the pie hard to slice. Along with this, it tasted bitter and was very dense.

Although we clearly have our favorites, everyone’s ideal pumpkin pie is different. This is your sign to treat yourself this fall.