Karys Gates
Karys Gates
Fold Editor & Social Media

Providence Park revives role as concert venue

Photo courtesy of Thomas Frith

Providence Park is mostly known for its exhilarating Portland Thorns and Timbers games, but what seems to commonly be forgotten is its musical history. Let us flashback to the 1980s, an era that some dare to say was the peak of music. 

Providence Park, previously named Civic Stadium, brought us concerts from musicians such as The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan and David Bowie. They ruled the Civic stage, performing to up to 30,000 fans. In the 1990s, Civic Stadium presented us with performances from unforgettable artists such as Erykah Badu, Sinead O’Connor, Johnny Cash and Van Halen.

Throughout the early 2000s, the park still hosted many concerts, but they mellowed in frequency. Billy Joel’s performance in 2017 was the last concert there; ever since Joel’s performance, the stadium seemed to shift its focus back to sports. There was no clear statement given by the venue or its management, and it’s a true mystery as to why they stopped hosting live music. 

As we fast forward to the present day, there was exciting news when Foo Fighters announced their 2024 tour accompanied by The Pretenders and Alex G. Providence Park is making a comeback as a venue. On top of the Foo Fighters on Aug. 16, Green Day and the Smashing Pumpkins will make an appearance on Aug. 25. Live music fans are excited to see this modern renaissance of old venues hosting bands with extensive music careers.

Maddie Aldinger, current senior at Tualatin High School (TuHS), has been to a plethora of concerts. The Wolf  asked who she’d like to see in the venue.

“Off the top of my head, Mitski,” she said. “I really enjoyed her concert, and I definitely think that [Providence Park is] a good venue for her because of how many seats there are, and I feel like it’s a good space for the type of performance she does.” 

In total, Providence Park is an upcoming venue that has a lot to offer fans of musicians like Mitski and others.It’s apparent that Providence Park has been and will now continue to be,a hub for the music world for years to come. Its rich history accompanied by the iconic city of Portland will result in a strong, unique environment for music enthusiasts of all kinds. 

The park’s unique balance of outdoor ambiance and outstanding music production ensures its place as one of the best venues for both locals and fans from around the nation. No matter what artists you hope to see in the future, Providence Park is the perfect venue for anyone.