Daisy Valencia
Staff Writer

Portland’s own Japanese Garden blooms for spring!

Photo by Zelda Zamora-Villa

During late March and early April, the Japanese Gardens’ “Weeping Cherry” tree is in full bloom, drawing native Oregonians as well as many tourists. Although the Garden is proud of its beauty throughout all seasons, the short, beautiful bloom of this tree is remarkable. 

The beauty of the garden also lies deeper than the eyes can see. The idea of a Japanese Garden was conceived by Portland’s mayor, Terry Schrunk, in the 1950s. The idea was to continue the growth and strength of Portland’s and Japan’s cultural ties. The garden was opened to the public later in 1967. 

Cate Schotland, a Tualatin High School junior, has visited the garden before.

“We went during the off season, so it wasn’t sunny,” Schotland said. “It was pretty cold. But it was nice, not hectic. I like the structure, how they haven’t changed nature much. It makes you feel like – as you walk – it’s natural and you’re immersed in the environment.” 

We sought out the “Weeping Cherry” in all its glory but just missed the mark due to the gray, rainy weather throughout Spring Break. Although it was towards the end of the tree’s bloom, it was still beautiful. The garden is home to 5.5 acres of various garden styles, even some with no greenery, like the serene rock garden.

In fact, while trying to leave, the rock garden was discovered. The purpose of this garden is to encourage people to slow down and stand solid, similar to the rocks, only focusing on the present moment. Ironically, we were rushing to leave as the garden closed in 10 minutes. Our hurried steps and pushing through those who were stopped made people look at us like we were crazy. I see now that both I and the rocks were ruining each other’s peace.