Tualatin students share excitement for new Obi-Wan Kenobi series

Olivia Trone, Co-Bilingual Editor

This May, Ewan McGregor returns to the Star Wars franchise once again to play the role of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi in the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series. In the Star Wars timeline, it has been 10 years since Kenobi accepted his greatest failure when his best friend and Jedi apprentice Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) converted to the dark side. Skywalker took on the persona of Sith Lord Darth Vader. Both actors are returning on May 27 for this special limited series streaming on Disney Plus. 

Kenobi blamed himself for Skywalker’s fate, which caused him to go into hiding for 19 years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. As an avid Star Wars fan, I have always found myself wondering what happened to Kenobi in the time between the events of Episode III and Episode IV. We do not know much about what he did, but we do know he changed his name to Ben Kenobi and moved to the desert planet Tatooine on the Outer Rim. It is my hope that this upcoming series will satisfy the desire to understand the mysterious Kenobi. 

What are Tualatin students most looking forward to in the Obi-Wan series?

“Personally, I am looking forward to seeing the Empire’s firm grasp on the world of Star Wars as this takes place about 10 years after Revenge Of The Sith,” one sophomore said. “I have heard that there will be a new Jedi appearing in the series, which could be another version of Order 66. I expect this to be the most saddening and dark time we have seen for Kenobi as he really lacks purpose and hope. I do hope to see some of his training that Yoda mentioned in Revenge of the Sith, and maybe if we are lucky, Qui Gon Jinn could make an appearance.” 

One of the key reasons why fans are so hyped for this series is the return of McGregor and Christensen.

“I am very excited to see both of them coming back to play their roles, as anyone would agree that it would not be the same without them,” the student added. “I am also interested in how big a role Christensen will play, not only as Vader, whom we know he has officially been cast as, but maybe even in some flashbacks as Skywalker if we get spoiled. If Filoni wants to really spoil us, maybe we could even get shirtless Skywalker again.” 

With the big reveal of both actors returning, everyone is anxiously awaiting the inevitable lightsaber fight between Kenobi and Vader. Fans are on the edge of their seats in anticipation of their reunion.