Warmer weather offers perfect opportunity to adjust negative self-talk

Graphic by Peyton Anderson.

Kayla Vo, Staff Writer

In a society where media influences so much of our daily lives, it can be difficult to escape the barrage of images promoting unattainable beauty standards. From flawless skin to hourglass figures, these standards can lead to feelings of inadequacy, particularly when it comes to our own bodies. As summer approaches, the pressure to look a certain way in shorts and swimsuits can overwhelm us. Let’s make it our goal to challenge these standards and encourage individuals to love and accept their bodies as they are.

We spoke with two Tualatin High School students – sophomore Berkley Padilla and junior Noah Paulus – to gain insight into the teenage challenges and benefits of embracing body positivity.

“Anyone can overcome their own standards they’ve set themselves, and the easiest way to do that is acceptance,” Paulus said. “You are the only person to change yourself, and if that’s not physically, it should always be mentally.” 

Padilla added, “Your body does so much for you. So what does it matter that someone on the internet doesn’t look the way you look? It’s about time that we all appreciate ourselves because our bodies are our best friends.”

Both students decided to emphasize the fact that media heavily influences the teenage mind. 

“The minds of teenagers are so easily moldable,” Paulus said. “Mainstream media portrays beauty in many ways. Influencers can push you to believe one thing and another. Beauty is different for everyone.”

The change in weather also causes many people stress, as clothes are lighter and often show more of our bodies.

“Now that summer is coming, the media has made people afraid to dress in certain clothes and post certain things. I’m sure I’m not the only person who wonders how different people would see others and see themselves if social media wasn’t so toxic,” Padilla shared.

Most importantly, Padilla encourages students to remember that we are often our own harshest critics. 

“We’ve been waiting for summer for so long,” she said. “Once you realize nobody is judging you as much as you are judging yourself, you begin to carry yourself in a different way.”

As easy as it is to advise another on staying positive about their image, it is undoubtedly harder to accept that advice for yourself. With the one life you have, embrace the power of self-love and break free from the societal norm that dictates what we should look like.